Aussie Mushroom - FAQ
At Hydro Experts, We only sell the products from the best brands even in mushrooms we have selected the best brand from the Aussie market called Aussie Mushroom Supplier. We have a vast range of mushrooms and mushroom kits like Sword Belt, Turkey tail, White Oyster, Shiitake, Lions Mane, Tan Oyster, Australian Reishi, Enoki, Grey Oyster, King Oyster, Nameko, Pink Oyster, and Yellow Oyster.
Our spray and grow systems are perfect for beginners. They require no prior experience, so you don't need any other equipment besides what is included inside the box.
We have collected some the most asked questions and created the FAQ related to mushrooms.
- make sure all the bits of mushrooms are picked off the substrate
- do not put your block in the fridge, just leave it where you were fruiting it. (if you put it in the fridge it will go to sleep and leave the mushroom mycelium vulnerable to other things starting to grow on it)
- after 2 weeks (or if mushrooms start growing again before then) start misting again each species and depending on the temperatures will take different times to re-flush later flushes do take longer to come through so hang in there they will come when ready :)
- Another option people like to do after the 2 weeks wrap the block up in cling wrap then cut a new x on the opposite side you fruited on last time.
- if your block feels very light it may need a soak in cooled boiled water (or distilled) overnight
- after 2-3 flushes it may need to soak in water to rehydrate the block, (use cooled boiled or distilled or spring water)
- Mushrooms are mainly water so more water = more mushrooms
- submerge the block in water for 12-24 hours, and drain all the excess water away, when you start misting again you won’t have to mist as much as the block is full of water again.
- the record so far is 8 flushes from an oyster block can you beat it.
- If you are not ready to fruit or use your spawn please put the bag(s) in a clean cold fridge (1-5 degrees) until you are ready. Most species are fine for 1-2 months. This will put the mushrooms to sleep.
- OTE: Pink oysters and hot weather types need to be used immediately.
- If you have purchased your mushroom kit or spawn as a gift. Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to give.
- Please Note: Mushrooms are a live culture, if you don’t put them in the fridge they will grow out of the box on their own.
This is called Mycelium. Mycelium is the vegetative part of a fungus or fungus-like bacterial colony, consisting of a mass of branching, thread-like hyphae. This is a good sign that your mushroom block is healthy and is what the mushrooms grow from. It can vary in colour between mushroom types. Some will appear a thick and vivid white while others will be more subtle.
- Morchella angusticeps mycelium, as it matures turns brown and will start to look like fairy floss on top
- Hericium coralloides mycelium looks very bare as its a very fine wispy mycelium and is hard to see with the naked eye
- Lepista nuda mycelium is thicker and will start to grow purple when it matures
- All mushroom spawn, if you look closely through a microscope will have a white coating around the grain, some you can see better than others.
- All species of fungi and their mycelium are different and shouldn’t be treated the same.
- All products we send from our facility are grown and ready to use.
This won’t affect your mushroom kit growing at all as they get cut open to fruit the mushrooms anyway.
This will not affect the growth of your mushroom kit. The box is aesthetic.
Our ready to fruit kits are 5L blocks. They harvest between 4-8 rounds, yielding between 300-700g per round. Harvests yield less each time as the mushrooms break down the block, (which is their food source). How many harvests you get depends on the environment and how you look after the block.
Oyster mushrooms are the easiest and most satisfying to grow. They grow in clusters, are quite meaty, and can grow quite large depending on the environment although taste better at a mid-size. The easiest way to grow them is with a ready to fruit mushroom kit. An oyster mushroom kit can have between 4-8 harvests each block, yielding from 300-700 grams per harvest. The first harvests yielding the most and then less each time as the mushrooms break down the block (which is its food source).
The best gourmet mushrooms to try seasonally:
- Winter White Oysters: Autumn, Winter, Spring – (Temps approx 15-23℃)
- Summer/Qld White Oysters: Autumn, Spring, Summer – (Temps approx 18-26℃)
- Winter Blue/Pearl Oysters: Autumn, Winter, Spring – (Temps approx 10-21℃)
- Summer Blue/Pearl Oysters: Spring, Summer – (Temps approx 18-26℃)
- Tan Oysters: Autumn, Winter, Spring, Summer – (Temps approx 10-26℃)
- Grey Oysters: Autumn, Winter, Spring – (Temps approx 10-21℃)
- Pheonix Oysters: Autumn, Spring, Summer – (Temps approx 18-24℃)
- Ulmarius Oysters: Autumn, Spring, Summer – (Temps approx 15-23℃)
- Black Pearl Oysters: Autumn, Winter, Spring – (Temps approx 13-19℃)
- King Oysters: Autumn, Winter, Spring – (Temps approx 13-19℃)
- Yellow Oysters: Autumn, Spring, Summer – (Temps approx 15-23℃)
- Pink Oysters: Spring, Summer – (Temps approx 23-29℃)
PLEASE NOTE: This is an indicative guide based upon averages. Actual fruiting temperatures are notes on the mushroom bag. How a mushroom grows will depend on the environment it is in and how it is looked after by the end user.
As a rule of thumb keep an eye on the caps. They are best consumed when the edges are facing down. As soon as the edges start to curl upwards they are getting ready to seed, this is where you might find little dust spores spreading around the mushrooms. Some people are okay with spores, others may have a reaction to this. Do not consume if the mushrooms have become wilted and soggy.
How many harvests you get out of each block varies between the type of mushrooms, its environment, and how the end-user looks after it. Below is a rough guide based on consumer feedback:
- Side Fruiting Mushroom kits: Approx 4-8 harvests
- Top Fruiting Mushroom Kits: Approx 4-8 harvests
- Shiitake Mushrooms kits: Approx 2-4 harvests
Below is a list of the best mushroom spawn we provide for Garden Beds & Logs:
Mushroom Spawn for Garden Beds
- Stropharia Rugosoannulata (Red Wine Cap / King Stropharia) – Easy to grow
- Lepista Nuda (Purple Wood Blewit Selby) – Medium to grow
- King Oyster (Pleurotus Eryngii) – Medium to grow
- Morchella Angusticeps (Morel Mushroom) – Hard to grow
- Mushroom Plugs for Tree Logs
- Australian Hericium (Lion’s Mane)
- Reishi (Ganoderma Steyaertanum)
- Turkey Tail (Trametes Versicolor)
- White Oyster (Pleurotus Ostreatus)
- Grey Oyster (Pleurotus Ostreatus)
- Monster Blue Oyster / Pearl Oyster (Pleurotus Ostreatus)
- Tan Oyster (Pleurotus Ostreatus)
- Ulmarius Oyster (Pleurotus Ostreatus)
- King Oyster (Pleurotus Eryngii)
- Phoenix Oyster (Pleurotus Pulmonarius)
- Yellow Oyster (Pleurotus Citrinopileatus)
- Shiitake (Lentinula Edodes 3782 strain)
- Shiitake (Lentinus Edodes S75 strain)
- Swordbelt (Agrocybe aegerita)