Canna Aqua Expanded Clay Balls - 45L | 8-16MM | Clay Pebbles | Leca | Hydroton
Products You May Need
Pick up at store Free
SECURE PAYMENTS WITH
BUY NOW, PAY LATER
Pay in 4, interest-free. Afterpay it.
ZIP NOW, PAY LATER
Repay on a convenient weekly, fortnightly or monthly schedule.
ENJOY NOW, PAY LATER
CANNA AQUA CLAY PEBBLES, aka Leca or Hydroton, are baked clay pellets that form an ideal substrate for use by experienced growers. Thanks to their unique structure, CANNA AQUA CLAY PEBBLES offer the ideal basis for growers who want to control the application of nutrients and the humidity level of their plants throughout the entire process of cultivation in a simple way. CANNA AQUA CLAY PEBBLES are manufactured from special types of clay that have a low soluble salt content. Because of this, they are particularly suited for use in hydroponic cultivation systems.
CANNA AQUA CLAY PEBBLES have both high porosity and high air content which stimulate the development of strong roots that grip the substrate well. CANNA AQUA CLAY PEBBLES are inorganic, have a neutral pH value, are fungus free and do not rot. CANNA AQUA CLAY PEBBLES consist of different components that together form an optimum, heterogeneous structure that is ideal for root development.
CANNA AQUA CLAY PEBBLES give you the basis for optimum growth and flowering. CANNA AQUA CLAY PEBBLES give the highest yield when used in combination with AQUA VEGA and AQUA FLORES feeding. Progress from AQUA VEGA to AQUA FLORES when flowers begin to develop. Normally speaking, this will be after a period of between one and three weeks on 12 hours of light per day.
What is LECA?
LECA (Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate), also known as Hydroton, is a small, porous, and lightweight ball used as a growing medium for indoor gardening.
They are made by baking natural clay in a rotary kiln at high temperatures, which causes it to expand and become porous. The resulting balls are uniform in size and shape and have a honeycomb-like structure that allows for good air and water circulation.
LECA, also called hydroton balls, are used a lot in hydroponic gardening because they are useful in many ways. Here are some of the key benefits of using LECA/Hydroton balls in hydroponics:
- Excellent Drainage
- Because LECA/Hydroton balls drain well, they help keep the soil from getting too wet and make sure the plants get enough oxygen.
- LECA/Hydroton balls are very lightweight, which makes them easy to handle and transport. They also do not add any weight to the overall system, which is important for larger hydroponic setups.
- pH Neutral
- LECA/Hydroton balls are pH neutral, which means that they do not affect the pH level of the nutrient solution. This is important because maintaining the correct pH level is critical for the health and growth of plants.
- LECA/Hydroton balls are reusable, which means that they can be used over and over again. This makes them an environmentally friendly and cost-effective choice for hydroponic gardening.
- Provides Support
- LECA/Hydroton balls provide support to the plants, which helps prevent them from falling over and getting damaged.
- Can help with pest control:
- Infectious diseases that live in the soil are, essentially, soil-dependent. Thrips, fungus gnats, mites, whiteflies, and scale are just some common pests that can establish large colonies in wet potting soil, so LECA is another effective means for controlling potential threats from pests.
Are there specific plant species that suit LECA?
- Monstera, orchids, and snake plants are just a few of the many houseplants that do well in LECA. These plants are known for their ability to thrive in well-draining soil, which makes them a great match for LECA
- When switching to the LECA growing method, watering and fertilising will need to be adjusted to meet the specific requirements of the plants, just as they would be when using soil or hydroponics.
- Brand: CANNA
- Bag Size: 45L
In The Box
-  x Canna Aqua Expanded Clay Balls - 45L | 8-16MM | Clay Pebbles | Leca | Hydroton
Advantages of CANNA Aqua Clay Pebbles
- CANNA Aqua Clay Pebbles have both high porosity and high air content which stimulate the development of strong roots that grip the substrate well. Strong roots mean bigger yields.
- Aqua Clay Pebbles are inorganic, have a neutral pH value, are fungus free and do not rot.
CANNA Aqua Clay Pebbles give you the basis for optimum growth and flowering. They give the highest yield when used in combination with CANNA Aqua Vega and Aqua Flores nutrients.
How to Prepare LECA Before Using It
Clay Pebbles, (or LECA) AKA Hydroton, is known for its excellent water-wicking properties, which is essential for hydroponic growth. However, using dry LECA without proper preparation can lead to moisture depletion in plant roots, potentially causing them to dry out. Ensure your LECA is adequately saturated before use to provide your plant with a healthy start and optimal growth.
Follow these steps for preparing your LECA:
Step 1: Rinse the LECA Begin by removing the LECA from its packaging and giving it a thorough rinse. This step is crucial to eliminate any debris and clay dust.
Pro tip: Use a mesh laundry bag and a garden hose for rinsing, preferably outdoors.
Step 2: Initial Soak Place the LECA in a container and soak it in tap water for 24 hours. This initial soak helps remove impurities from the LECA.
Pro tip: You can monitor the PPM (parts per million) of the soaking water after this first soak.
Step 3: Secondary Soak After the initial soak, discard the soaking water and replace it with fresh tap water or hose water. Allow the LECA to soak for an additional 24 hours. Your LECA will be ready for use after this step.
Pro tip: Typically, the PPM reading after the second soak is around 300 - 400 PPM. This step accelerates the process of achieving equilibrium between the LECA's chemical composition and the surrounding water. It ensures that your plant receives the proper nutrients for healthy growth.
Step 4: Drying and Storage If you don't plan to use the LECA immediately, it's advisable to dry and store it. Place the LECA in mesh laundry bags to allow for optimal airflow during the drying process. If you intend to use the LECA right away, you can skip this step.
Pro tip: During the soaking process, you can also add CalMag (Calcium Magnesium supplement) and rooting hormone to the water. These supplements can be introduced as early as the first soak since calcium and magnesium ions can replace less desirable soluble minerals in the LECA, promoting plant health.
Q: What are the main benefits of using LECA/Hydroton balls?
A: They provide excellent drainage, are lightweight, pH neutral, reusable, and offer plants the support they need.
Q: Can I reuse CANNA Aqua Clay Pebbles?
A: Absolutely! They're designed for long-term use, making them both eco-friendly and cost-effective.
Q: Are they effective against pests?
A: Yes, the pebbles can reduce the risk of soil-borne pests, offering an added layer of protection to your plants.
Q: Which plants thrive best with LECA?
A: Plants like Monstera, orchids, and snake plants, known for their preference for well-draining mediums, flourish in LECA.
Q: Do I need to adjust watering when switching to LECA?
A: Yes, as with any medium change, adjusting watering and fertilizing to cater to plant needs is essential.